The history of Nepalese tea begun with the first tea plantation in Illam tea estate during the reign of Junga Bahadur Rana in 1920 B.S ( 1963 A.D.) by Gajraj singh Thapa who brought seeds of tea from China as gift .The Tea plantation gradually explored in various districts of Nepal at small scale farmers level since 2028 B.S.( 1971 A.D.).The five districts of Eastern Development Regions viz. Illam,Jhapa ,Panchthar,Tehrathum and Dhankuta were declared as “Tea Zones ” of Nepal by his majesty late King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev in 2039 B.S.( 1982 A.D.), after which the number of tea farmers involvement was tremendously increased which resulted in the establishment of tea farmers groups and cooperatives. Similarly, Nepal Government declared the first tea policy in 2057 B.S. after which there was rise in number of farmers, tea farmers groups ,cooperatives and tea cooperatives processing factories.